The End is the beginning
The End Is the Beginning is a fast-paced ESL filler activity with a strong focus on vocabulary within specific English learning topics. For this activity, you’ll need to choose a few topics you’ve already covered in class, or you can pair it with a vocabulary lesson plan to ensure comprehension.
ESL skills covered in The End Is the Beginning include:
- Quick English thought
In this ESL filler activity, students will use the last letter of a vocabulary word to say a new word within a specific topic.
Here’s how you can use this ESL filler activity in your next class:
- You’ll first set the topic for the first round. For example, let’s say the topic is “animals.” You’ll say “bird” and then point to Student A.
- Student A will need to quickly form a new word that relates to animals in some way using the last letter of the word “bird,” which is the letter “D.”
- Student A will stand and say, “Dog” and point to Student B.
- Student B will think on his or her feet, stand and say, “giraffe” and point to Student C.
- The ESL filler activity will continue around the classroom until the topic is exhausted or students become stumped.
It’s best practice to begin with an easy topic, such as animals, verbs, etc. in order to ease into this fun and engaging ESL filler activity.