Questions about your hometown
My hometown ESL Conversation – 22 questions to discuss with your teacher or partner about your hometown.
- What is the name of your hometown?
- Where is it situated? (country, province)
- Where in the country is your town located? (coast/inland)
- How far is it from the capital of your country?
- Where does its name come from?
- How big is your hometown?
- Is it a cheap or an expensive place to stay? – Are rents high or low?
- Is it easy to let a flat?
- Is it a tourist destination?
- Name some of the neighboring towns.
- Is there a river in your town? What’s its name? Is it big? Is it navigable?
- What are the main sights in your town? Talk about:
• churches (how old? what style?)
• museums (what kind?)
• bridges (how old?)
• historic buildings
- What are the main economic activities in your town?
- What is the public transport like?
- Where can you go shopping?
- What entertainment options are there?
- Are there any good restaurants? Do they serve local or international cuisine? Which is your favourite?
- Are there any festivals in your town? Are there any fairs and expositions?
- Is there a sports centre? Does your town have a sports team?
- Do you know any famous people who live (or lived) in your town?
- What is your favourite place?
- What do you like most about your hometown?
- What do you dislike?
Write an essay about your hometown
Based on the text and questions above, describe your hometown and write what you like and dislike about it.